John Marshall Law School Candler Hospital Redevelopment
Wolverton was responsible for site planning and civil design associated with renovation of the existing 70,000+ square foot historic Candler Hospital complex in downtown Savannah. The renovation project converted the former Candler Hospital complex into a higher education facility that will accommodate 200 full time students, 100 part time students and 45 faculty and staff members. The historic Candler Hospital (founded in 1803) was Georgia’s first hospital and is believed to be the second oldest general hospital in continuous operation in the United States. It was originally founded in 1803 as a seaman’s hospital and poor house and was incorporated in 1808 under the name Savannah Poor House and Hospital Society. During the Civil War (circa 1835) a portion of the hospital was used to care for Confederate soldiers. A rear stockade area for confinement of Union prisoners was constructed (circa 1864) around the great oak that still stands today. After Sherman’s occupation and until 1866 the building served as a Union Hospital. The existing site had issues with cross-connection of storm drainage and sanitary sewer systems. As part of the development, we were required to separate the two systems. Development activity within the Candler Oak vicinity was strictly prohibited. Proposed development was designed to peacefully coexist with the Candler Oak site. Approvals and permits were obtained from City of Savannah, State of GA NRCS and Savannah Historic District Board of Review.
Location: Savannah, GA
Client: The John Marshall Law School
Project Type: Education